|Fact Sheet 1993-2016
- Becomes a conductor of Simón Bolívar Youth Orchestra of Venezuela.
- Named Music Director of the Amadeus Chamber Orchestra in Caracas, Venezuela.
- Begins studying conducting in Venezuela with Rodolfo Saglimbeni.
- Continues his conducting studies with José Antonio Abreu and is appointed Music Director of the Simón Bolívar Youth Orchestra of Venezuela and Music Director of El Sistema.
- Tours Germany with the Simón Bolívar Youth Orchestra of Venezuela, including a performance at Berlin's Philharmonie.
- Wins the inaugural Bamberger Symphoniker Gustav Mahler Conducting Competition.
- Conducts the Mahler Chamber Orchestra in Caracas.
- Debuts with Israel Philharmonic Orchestra, BBC Proms with Gothenburg Symphony, Rome's Orchestra Sinfonica dell'Accademia di Santa Cecilia, UBS Verbier Festival Orchestra in Switzerland, Camerata Salzburg, Royal Stockholm Philharmonic,Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France and London Philharmonia at Royal Festival Hall and at the Aldeburgh Festival.
- Signs exclusive recording contract with Deutsche Grammophon.
- US debut with the Los Angeles Philharmonic at the Hollywood Bowl.
- Tours Germany with the SBYO.
- Inaugurates "The Inter-American Center for Social Action through Music" in Caracas.
- Appointed Music Director of the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra on April 12, 2006 (effective 2007/08 season for 5 years/tenure ends 2012).
- Debuts with La Scala (Don Giovanni June 11, 2006), Berlin Staatsoper (L'elisir d'amore April 21, 2007), the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra (2006), Gulbenkian Foundation (2006), Dresden Staatskapelle (2006), Royal Liverpool Philharmonic (2006), Frankfurt Radio Symphony (2006), Orchestra Filarmonica della Scala (2006), Gürzenich Orchestra of Cologne (2006), Orchestra del Maggio Musicale Fiorentino (2007), Czech Philharmonic Orchestra (2007), Vienna Symphony Orchestra (2007), Boston Symphony (at Tanglewood Festival 2006) and Chicago Symphony Orchestra (April 2007).
- Performs with Philharmonia Orchestra, Orchestra Sinfonica dell'Accademia di Santa Cecilia, Gothenburg Symphony and Los Angeles Philharmonic (January 2007).
- Tour with SBYO in Italy and Germany.
- Tour in Israel with Israel Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Release of first DG album in fall 2006: Beethoven, Symphonies Nos. 5&7, with the SBYO.
- Debut at Lucerne Festival Easter with the SBYO (2007).
- Named Music Director of the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra on April 9, 2007 (effective 2009/10).
- Release of second DG album in fall 2007: Mahler, Symphony No. 5, with the SBYO.
- Debuts with the Vienna Philharmonic at Lucerne Festival (September 2007), Berlin Staatskapelle (2007), Berlin Philharmonic (June 2008), New York Philharmonic (November 2007) and San Francisco Symphony (2008).
- Four-city North American tour with the SBYO (November 2007), with performances in New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles and Boston.
- Release of third DG album in spring 2008: FIESTA with SBYO.
- Performs with the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra, Israel Philharmonic, Philharmonia Orchestra, Berlin Staatsoper (La Bohème 2008), Los Angeles Philharmonic, Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France and Gothenburg Symphony.
- Debut with Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra plus tour (2009).
- Nine-city tour with Gothenburg Symphony in Germany and Spain.
- Tour with Israel Philharmonic, with performances in Israel, New York, New Jersey, Washington, DC, Philadelphia, San Diego, Orange County and Los Angeles.
- SBYO tours Asia, US and Europe.
- UK tour of fourth DG album in March 2009: Tchaikovsky, Symphony No. 5; Francesca da Rimini, with the SBYO.
- Performs with Los Angeles Philharmonic, Chicago Symphony, New York Philharmonic, Gothenburg Symphony, Gulbenkian Orchestra, Staatskapelle Berlin, Berlin Philharmonic, Berlin Staatsoper (Don Giovanni 2009), Orchestra Filarmonica della Scala and Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Inaugural concerts as Music Director of the Los Angeles Philharmonic (¡Bienvenido Gustavo! October 3, 2009, and the Inaugural Gala October 8, 2009)
- Tours with Gothenburg Symphony to Hamburg, Bonn, Amsterdam and Brussels; Canary Islands.
- SBYO tours Europe and Scandinavia/Russia.
- Los Angeles Philharmonic US tour to San Francisco, CA; Phoenix, AZ; Chicago, IL; Nashville, TN; Washington, DC; Philadelphia, PA; New York, NY (Avery Fisher Hall); and Newark, NJ.
- Performs with Los Angeles Philharmonic, Gothenburg Symphony, SBYO, Vienna Philharmonic and Berlin Philharmonic.
- Opening Night Gala of the Los Angeles Philharmonic with tenor Juan Diego Flórez released as Celebración (2010) on iTunes.
- Guest conducts the Vienna Philharmonic in Vienna and on tour to Lucerne, Switzerland. In the United States, leads concerts Carnegie Hall in NY and in Lexington, KY.
- Conducts Carmen at the Hollywood Bowl, and then at La Scala.
- Conducts Göteborgs Symfoniker in Göteborg as well as Stockholm and five other Swedish venues.
- Guest conducts the Berlin Philharmonic in 20th-century repertoire.
- Conducts Los Angeles Philharmonic on six-city European Tour: includes venues in Köln, London, Paris, Budapest and Vienna.
- LA Phil LIVE in-theater events launched in 500 movie theaters throughout North America. Featured programs include "Dudamel conducts Beethoven," "Dudamel conducts Tchaikovsky" (Shakespeare fantasies with actors), and "Dudamel conducts Brahms" (with Renaud and Gautier Capuçon).
- Conducts Turandot with Christine Brewer and the Los Angeles Philharmonic at the Hollywood Bowl (summer 2011); plus other Hollywood Bowl concerts with LA Phil.
- Conducts Simón Bolívar Symphony Orchestra of Venezuela on South American Tour (June 2011 to Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile); and European Tour (August 2011 to Salzburg, London Proms, Istanbul).
- Opens Göteborgs Symfoniker in Sweden and tours to Norway and Iceland.
- Opening Gala of the Los Angeles Philharmonic, Gershwin program w/ Herbie Hancock, piano.
- Tours w/ the Los Angeles Philharmonic in Santa Barbara, San Francisco.
- Tours w/ the Simón Bolívar Symphony Orchestra of Venezuela on European tour to Zürich, Milan and Rome.
- Guest conducts the Israel Philharmonic in Tel Aviv, Haifa and Jerusalem.
- Guest conducts the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra in Vienna, plus records Mendelssohn 3rd Symphony on vinyl disk, proceeds to go to charity (released May 2012)
- Guest conducts at La Scala, Teatro alla Scala Orchestra Concert Mahler 2.
- The Mahler Project: presenting the whole cycle of the nine Mahler Symphonies in Los Angeles and Caracas w/ both LA Phil and SBSOV, both orchestras alternating symphonies in each city; in Los Angeles (Jan. 13-Feb. 4, 2012) and Caracas (Feb. 8-18, 2012); plus live theater cast of Mahler 8 with combined orchestras transmitted internationally from Caracas (Feb. 18, 2012).
- Tours w/ Göteborgs Symfoniker in Göteborg to Stockholm, Lisbon, Santiago, Oviedo, Murcia and Madrid.
- Guest conducts the Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France in Paris.
- Guest conducts the Berlin Philharmonic in Berlin and on tour to Eisenstadt, Vienna and Paris.
- Conducts Don Giovanni w/ LA Phil (sets by Frank Gehry).
- Conducts world premiere of Adams The Gospel According to the Other Mary w/ LA Phil.
- Guest conducts the Vienna Philharmonic in Schönbrunn concert in Vienna (televised on PBS for US broadcast August 2012).
- Ends tenure as Music Director with Göteborgs Symfoniker having served 5 years (began with the 2007-08 season).
- Named Honorary Conductor of the Gothenburg Symphony (Music Dirctor tenure 2007-2012)
- 2012, Gustavo and Eloísa Dudamel launched The Dudamel Foundation, dedicated to furthering music education and social justice around the world
- Conducts Rigoletto at the Hollywood Bowl w/ LA Phil, and then at La Scala
- Conducts LA Phil in multimedia project, featuring Knussen’s Where the Wild Things Are and Ravel’s Mother Goose (complete)
- Tours w/ the Simón Bolívar Symphony Orchestra of Venezuela (SBSOV) on U.S. tour to Berkeley CA, Chicago, Washington DC, Philadelphia, and New York (Voices of Latin America Festival at Carnegie Hall)
- Guest conducts Israel Philharmonic in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem; Vienna Philharmonic in Vienna and Salzburg; and Berlin Philharmonic (plus completing recording project)
- Conducts Simón Bolívar Symphony Orchestra of Venezuela at Gala Inaugural Concert for the Festival Musical de Santo Domingo 2013 in the Dominican Republic
- Tours w/ LA Phil (w/ highlight Adams’ The Gospel According to the Other Mary) to London (residency at The Barbican), Lucerne (Easter Festival), Paris (Salle Pleyel) and New York (Avery Fisher Hall)
- Tours w/ SBSOV to South America to Argentina, Brazil and Colombia
- Conducts Le Nozze di Figaro w/ LA Phil (sets by Jean Nouvel and costumes by Azzedine Alaïa)
- Guest conducts Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra (Amsterdam), Orchestra dell'Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia (Rome), and Berlin Staatkapelle (Germany)
- Conducts Tannhäuser w/ SBSOV at the Opera de Colombia
- Salzburg Festival Summer Residency w/ SBSOV
- Conducts Aida and the Verdi “Requiem” w/ the Los Angeles Philharmonic at the Hollywood Bowl (summer 2013)
- Conducts Rigoletto (Tokyo only) and Aida w/ Teatro alla Scala on Asia tour to Tokyo, Nagoya and Osaka, Japan
- Inaugurates LUCERNE FESTIVAL’s Ark Nova project in Japan (September 2013)
- 10th Anniversary Celebration of WDCH: Opening Night Gala Concert of the Los Angeles Philharmonic w/ Yo-Yo Ma, cellist (September 30, 2013)
- Performs with the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, the Munich Philharmonic, Philharmonia Orchestra, and Berlin Philharmonic (October – December 2013)
- Tours w/ SBSOV to Paris and the Middle East (January 2014)
- The Tchaikovsky Festival w/ the Los Angeles Philharmonic and the SBSOV in Los Angeles (February 2014)
- North America 7-city tour w/ Los Angeles Philharmonic and Yuja Wang, pianist (March 2014)
- Recording of Adam’s The Gospel According to the Other Mary released (March 2014)
- Conducts Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra on 5-city European tour and the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra on tour to Italy (April 2014)
- Conducts Così fan tutte w/ LA Phil (sets by Zaha Hadid and costumes by Hussein Chalayan)
- Conducts the Berlin Philharmonic on tour in Italy and Germany (June 2014)
- Conducts Cavalleria rusticana and Pagliacci w/ the Los Angeles Philharmonic at the Hollywood Bowl (summer 2014)
- World premiere of a Suite from Libertador w/ the Los Angeles Philharmonic at the Hollywood Bowl (July 31, 2014)
- Joins ASCAP (American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers) in connection with the piblication of his first film score, Libertador (The Libertador).
- March 2015 extends contract w/ LA Phil through 2021-22 season with new title of Music and Artistic Director.
- Salzburg Festival 2014 w/ Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra (August 2014).
- Conducts Staatskapelle Berlin in opening concert of Musikfest Berlin w/ Daniel Barenboim, pianist (September 2014).
- Tours with Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra in Europe and Asia (September 2014).
- Opening Night Gala Concert of the Los Angeles Philharmonic: A John Williams Celebration, w/ Itzhak Perlman, violinist (September 30, 2014).
- Tours w/ SBSOV to London, Brussels, Frankfurt, Barcelona, Valencia, Madrid and Paris (January 2015).
- Tours with LA Phil to Asia - Hong Kong, Shanghai, Seoul and Tokyo (March 2015).
- March 2015 extends contract w/ LA Phil through 2021-22 season with new title of Music & Artistic Director.
- Conducts and records complete cycle of Beethoven’s symphonies w/SBSOV in Caracas, Venezuela (April 2015).
- Conducts world premieres of LA Phil commissions Saariaho True Fire, Norman Stop Motion, Dessner Quilting, Glass Concerto for Two Pianos and Mackey Mnemosyne's Pool w/LA Phil.
- Conducts Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra and Berlin Philharmonic (June 2015).
- Conducts complete cycle of Beethoven’s symphonies w/SBSOV in Bogotá (July 2015).
- Conducts Carmina Burana, “Tchaikovsky Spectacular with Fireworks,” “A Midsummer Night” (all-Mendelssohn program w/ Gil Shaham, violinist), and “Mozart with Dudamel” (w/ Alice Sara Ott, pianist), at the Hollywood Bowl (July 2015).
- Conducts Puccini’s La bohème w/ the SBSOV at Teatro alla Scala, Milan (August/Sep. 2015).
- Conducts 3 concerts for EXPO 2015 w/ SBSOV at Teatro alla Scala, Milan, for Festival of International Orchestras (August/September 2015).
- Opening Night Gala Concert of the Los Angeles Philharmonic: The Brilliance of Beethoven, joint concert w/ Los Angeles Philharmonic and Simón Bolívar Symphony Orchestra of Venezuela (September 29, 2015); “Immortal Beethoven” complete cycle of Beethoven’s symphonies with LA Phil and SBSOV (October).
- Conducts opening and closing credits of Star Wars: The Force Awakens at invitation of John Williams (December 2015).
- Tours w/ SBSOV to Barcelona, Toulouse, Luxembourg, London, Berlin, Munich, Essen and Cologne (January 2016).
- Performs with YOLA at Super Bowl 50 Halftime show with Coldplay, Beyoncé and Bruno Mars (February 7, 2016).
- Conducts world premiere of LA Phil commission, Andrew Norman’s Play: Level 1 (February).
- Tours w/ LA Phil to New York, Amsterdam, Paris, Luxembourg and London (March 2016).
- Tours w/ Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, with performances in Vienna, Amsterdam, Freiburg, Linz and Munich (April 2016).
- Debut at the Vienna State Opera conducting Puccini’s Turandot (April / May 2016).
- Conducts Bernstein’s West Side Story w/SBSOV and Cecilia Bartoli at Salzburg Festival (May 2016).
- Debut at the Los Angeles Opera conducting Puccini’s La bohème (June 2016).
- Conducts SBSOV in three programs, including Messiaen’s Turangalîla-Symphonie w/ Yuja Wang, at the Teatro Mayor in Bogotá, Colombia (June 2016).
- Conducts run of West Side Story at Salzburg Festival w/ Cecilia Bartoli (August 2016)
- Tours w/ SBSOV to Stockholm, Helsinki, London, Lisbon and Berlin (August/September 2016)
- Opening Night Gala Concert of the Los Angeles Philharmonic: Gershwin and the Jazz Age
- Opens Carnegie Hall 16/17 season w/ SBSOV
- Tours w/ LA Phil to West Coast USA
- Weekend residency at Harvard University; Open Rehearsal with Longy Sistema Side by Side Orchestra and Harvard Public Talk “The Creative Class” with Deborah Borda
Conducts Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra’s New Year’s Concert on January 1, 2017.