About this recording
Music Director Gustavo Dudamel and the Simón Bolívar Symphony Orchestra of Venezuela release a new album featuring Beethoven’s “Choral” Symphony, a highlight of Dudamel's two-season traversal of the iconic composer's music. The new recording, featuring cover artwork by world-renowned architect Frank Gehry, captures a live performance in Caracas, Venezuela in April 2015 with soprano Mariana Ortiz, mezzo-soprano J’nai Bridges, tenor Joshua Guerrero, bass Soloman Howard, and over 200 voices from the Coro Nacional Juvenil Simón Bolívar.
"With our latest recording project," says Gustavo Dudamel, "my brothers and sisters of the Simón Bolívar Symphony Orchestra and I pay homage to two of our greatest inspirations: Beethoven and Bolívar. Two bold, passionate visionaries whose parallel lives straddled the transition from the Enlightenment to the revolutionary Romantic eras.”
For the Bolívar Music Director, Beethoven's final symphony is a hymn to peace, solidarity, and compassion–"Beethoven's great vision for the future," as Dudamel puts it.
1. Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 in D Major: I, Allegro ma non troppo
2. Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 in D Major: II, Scherzo, Multo vivace
3. Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 in D Major: III, Adagio molto e cantabile
4. Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 in D Major: IV, Finale Part I
4. Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 in D Major: IV, Finale Part II